- Belchertown Voices for Justice for audiovisual equipment to support education and rapid response to combat white supremacy in the region. $1,000.
- Climate Action Now for its partnership with the Narraganset Tribe in a legal effort to preserve sacred stones against fossil fuel infrastructure development. $2,500.
- Out Now! Springfield, to provide support, education and advocacy for LGBTQ youth in Springfield. $2,500.
- Pa’lante Restorative Justice, Holyoke, for leadership training in restorative rather than punitive justice in Holyoke Schools. $2,500.
- Real Cost of Prisons Project, Northampton, to meet daily operation costs for defense and advocacy for prisoners in Massachusetts. $2,500.
- The Resistance Center for Peace and Justice, Northampton, to support organizing for international treaty to ban nuclear weapons. $2,500.
- Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership to support on-going collaboration with Nueva Esperanza in Holyoke to teach the history and dynamic structure of resistance. $1,500.
- Springfield No One Leaves/Nadie Se Mude, Springfield, for its Movement Leadership Academy for those striving to unite poor and working people to develop power. 2,500.
- Toolbox for Education and Social Action, Greenfield, for its Compost Cooperative, employing formerly incarcerated individuals in reducing waste and enriching the soil. $2,500.
- Traprock Center for Peace Center, Greenfield, to build a Peace and Justice Library Book and bring social justice activist Iris Morales to Franklin County. $2,500.
- Western Mass Medicare for All, to support a Medicare for All Conference in Springfield. $2,500.
JOIN US FOR 3RD ANNUAL LEFT-WING CHICKEN BARBECUE
Saturday May 5, 2018
3 to 6 pm
At the home of Bob & Janet Winston
37 Salem Street, Amherst.*
Jazz by the Fred Clayton Trio!
Share a pot, salad or dessert.
Enjoy great food, refreshments, music, sunshine (we hope), all for a great cause!
Jazz by the Fred Clayton Trio!
* You may park at Fort River School two blocks away near East Street Common.
The Markham Nathan Fund for Social Justice was created in 2009 by Arky Markham and Marty Nathan to honor their husbands George Markham and Mike Nathan, both progressive activists. This year the fund has already given more than $25,000 to small grassroots groups in Western Massachusetts working for racial and economic justice, peace, the empowerment of local communities and a clean and sustainable environment.
Last year we initiated an emergency grant program to allow service to a movement that is facing a constantly-changing and challenging political scene. This year we are adding a second granting cycle in the fall. We are working to support an unstoppable movement for a just and livable world.
Your donation to the Markham-Nathan Fund is fully tax-deductible with a check made out to our fiscal sponsor the Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts.
Donate through the Western Mass. Community Foundation HERE!
Click “Another named fund” and indicate Markham-Nathan Fund for Social Justice.
Sponsors of the Left-Wing Chicken Barbecue
Bob & Janet Winston
Susan & Rene Theberge
Kathleen Winkworth & Jim Shamey
Carlie & Gary Tartakov
Nancy Talanian & Fran Fortino
Al & Mary Siano
Lisa Selkirk & Angelika Kratzer
Catherine Nagel & Bob Horowitz
Marty Nathan & Elliot Fratkin
Robby Moll & Rachel Folsom
Bruce & Jane Miller
Sigrid Miller Pollin
Ellen & Robert Meeropol
Jim Levey & Christine Olson
Norton & Jean Juster
Ronal & Deena Madnick
Frank Holmquist & Mary Hoyer
Mary H. Hall
Adele Franks & Steve Jones
Ruth V. Elcan
Jane Cross & Paul Spector
Peter Benjamin & Liz Bramson
John & Francesca Bowman
Charles & Epi Bodhi
Joan Berzoff &Lewis Cohen
Katharine Baker & Peter Titelman
James & Senani Babson
Markham Nathan Fund for Social Justice announces twice yearly
grant application deadlines
The Markham Nathan Fund for Social Justice announces twice-yearly grant application deadlines to apply for social justice grants in 2018. The two deadlines are now March 1 and September 15. Only one grant per year per organization will be awarded. The maximum amount per grant is $2,500.00.