Press Release for on or about January 2, 2017
Watermelon Wednesdays Benefit Concert
“In It Together”
Wednesday, January 18, 2016 @ 7:30pm
Academy of Music, Northampton MA
West Whatley, MA – On Wednesday, January 18, at 7:30 PM, Watermelon Wednesdays Summer Concert Series brings a special winter concert to the Academy of Music in Northampton, Massachusetts. “In It Together” is A Concert to Build Community and Benefit Local Social Justice Groups. Join Us to Hear Great Live Music
- Chris Brashear and Ben Demerath are a combination of experience, raw talent and formidable vocal duets on the scene today in tradition of the Stanley Brothers or Rice and Skaggs. Brashear is an exceptional fiddle, mandolin, guitar player and composer. Demerath is a pure talent in every sense.
- The “Wisteria String Quartet” with cellist Wayne Smith, violist Delores Thayer and violinists Sarah Briggs and Kaila Graef. This quartet is committed to bring new and classical works to communities throughout the Valley.
- “Mister Sun” comprises 3 generations of some of the sharpest minds to apply themselves to the American String Band repertoire; legendary fiddler Darol Anger is at home in a number of musical genres, some of which he helped to invent; Joe K. Walsh is one of the foremost contemporary mandolinists; Grant Gordy is a standout in the crowded field of ‘Acoustic Guitar Wunderkinds’ and Ethan Jodziewicz, a virtuosic and versatile bassist.
- “Charles Neville Quartet”, Charles’ experience on saxophone includes rhythm & blues, funk, jazz, be-bop, popular and even American Indian. He is a one of the famed Neville Brothers.
- The Valley Jazz Divas (Carol Abbe Smith, Barbara Ween, Jill Connolly) and Friends. The Divas have been making music together for over 10 years and have many more years as solo performers. They sing the blues, Jazz standards and some not so standard standards. They will be leading an audience singalong as the concert finale.
Join Us to Build Community in These Uncertain Times
Typically, a summer concert series in West Whately, MA, Watermelon Wednesdays is hosting this winter benefit concert “In It Together.” Another evening of diverse music representing a taste of what the concert series has brought to the West Whately chapel for the past 17 years. Watermelon Wednesdays on Facebook
Join Us to Support Diversity and Social Justice
The Watermelon Wednesday Board has selected the Markham-Nathan fund to benefit from the concert. A representative from Markham-Nathan will be on hand at the performance to talk about their mission and to accept donations. This agency funds small grassroots social justice groups in Western Massachusetts.
Tickets are available through the Academy of Music ticket office online, at the box office, or by calling the AOM at 413-584-9032.